Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
As the local leader in restoration from fire damage, SERVPRO of Bismarck want to keep you informed of ways to prevent fire from having a devastating impact on your life.
The Red Cross gives some excellent tips here:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
- Test smoke alarms every month. If they’re not working, change the batteries.
- Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
- If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP. Never go back inside for anything or anyone.
"Who should I contact if a fire happens?"
- Immediately dial 9-1-1 and have first responders there as soon as possible.
- Make sure anyone who was in the house is out, DO NOT go back into a burning building for any people, pets, or belongings, nothing is as important as your safety.
- Once the fire has been extinguished, contact your insurance provider and see what your policy covers
- Have them contact us, SERVPRO of Bismarck, and we will work with them for you, to make sure everything is restored to the perfect condition.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (701) 415-0525
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.