If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (701) 415-0525

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Smoke in the Kitchen

Kitchen fires can be dangerous and deadly. Luckily this home fire just left some smoke damage to clean up. Our technicians did a great job of getting this home back to normal. 

Here are some safety tips for what to do if a fire starts in the kitchen:

  • Grease fires cannot be put out with water. If you are using cooking oil or cooking with foods that give off large amounts of grease and ignite into a fire, throwing water on that fire will only cause the water to vaporize into steam which can cause burns to yourself as well as increase the flare of the fire. Instead, try to cover the fire with a lid or dish that will cut off the oxygen supply and eventually put out the flame. If you can safely turn off the heat source, that will help as well. 
  • If there is a fire in your oven or microwave, do not open the door. Instead, turn off the heat source and let the flame die out on its own. Opening the door can allow fresh oxygen to reignite the flame which would otherwise die out. 
  • Do not try to put the fire out by swatting at it with a towel or cloth. This will only fan it and increase the possibility of it spreading to the towel or cloth. Instead, try smothering it with a large, wet towel. Quickly soak the towel and cover the whole pan with it to try and put out the flames. If it is already too big of a fire, this will not work. 
  • Make sure to have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen that is easily accessible. This is your best bet to putting out a fire before it causes any further damage as well as the safest option for you.